03/24: Chapter meeting. The St. Louis Chapter held its third meeting of 2021 via Zoom and featured a presentation from Dr. Richard Abbott. Richard developed a special presentation on plant identification. This presentation was a continuation of his talk given in the January 27th meeting. The detail was based on over a decade of feedback from his relationship with MONPS-St. Louis. I was given the opportunity to talk with Richard after the meeting and ask him a few questions. This is outlined below:
What was the main goal of the presentation? To teach that as confusing as the natural world may seem, you can understand and identify plants by focusing on five (5) details 1. plant habit 2. leaf composition 3. leaf arrangement 4. margin 5. presence or absence of stipules.
What makes this important? There are simplified ways to deconstruct problems. Sometimes it requires patience.
What does this science provide to people? Botanical science helps people articulate what they see in their brain.
Dr. Richard Abbott is a dedicated professor and teacher, demonstrates a high standard, and shows up for his students being the best that he can be.
04/28: Chapter meeting. To be held via Zoom. Dr. Kyra Krakos and students from her Maryville University Research Lab will discuss student research presentations.
05/26: Chapter meeting. To be held via Zoom. Dr. Quinn Long, Director of Shaw Nature Reserve Topic: to be determined.
Meetings for 2021 will be held via Zoom on the 4th Wednesday of each month, January through October (excluding June), at 7:00pm. Zoom invitations to be sent out within a week or so in advance of each meeting.
Chapter President: Rick Gray – email@example.com
Chapter Representative: Lynette Baker
Favorite Places and Some Plant Lists
(Bryophyte Lists contain Lichens and Fungi) Plant List Sources
- Shaw Nature Reserve, Franklin County SNR List
- Valley View Glades Natural Area, Jefferson County Valley View List
- Victoria Glades (TNC), Jefferson County Victoria List
- Engelmann Woods Natural Area, Franklin County Engelmann List
- Hughes Mountain Natural Area, Washington County Hughes Mtn List
- Pickle Springs Natural Area, Ste. Genevieve County Pickle Springs List
- Cuivre River State Park, Lincoln County Cuivre List Cuivre Bryophytes
- St. Francois State Park, St. Francois County St. Francois List
- Meramec State Park, Franklin County Meramec List Meramec Bryophytes
- Hawn State Park, Ste. Genevieve County Hawn List
- Hickory Canyons NA, Ste. Genevieve County Hickory Cyn List Hickory Cyn Bryophytes
- Washington State Park, Washington County Washington List
- Babler Memorial State Park, St. Louis County Babler List
- Onondaga Cave State Park, Crawford County Onondaga List Onondaga Bryophytes
- Vilander Bluff Natural Area, Crawford County Vilander List
- Graham Cave State Park, Montgomery County Graham Cave List
- Huzzah Conservation Area, Crawford County Huzzah CA List
- LaBarque Creek CA, Jefferson County LaBarque List LaBarque Bryophytes
- Don Robinson State Park, Jefferson County Don Robinson List Don Robinson Bryophytes
- Riverlands Migratory Bird Sanctuary, St. Charles County Riverlands List
- Rockwoods Reservation, St. Louis County Rockwoods List
- Pea Ridge Conservation Area, Washington County Pea Ridge List
- Weldon Spring Conservation Area, St. Charles County Weldon Spring List
- Young Conservation Area, Jefferson County Young CA List
- Glassberg Conservation Area, Jefferson County Glassberg List
- Creve Coeur County Park, St. Louis County Creve Coeur List
- Klondike County Park, St. Charles County Klondike List
- Matson Hill County Park, St. Charles County Matson Hill List
- Little Lost Creek CA, Warren County Little Lost Creek List